Saturday 11 April 2009

Offa's Dyke 2009 Day 7


Friday 10th April 2009
White Castle
Yesterday evening I had a look at the Met Office web site using my mobile phone and found the mountain forecast for the Brecon Beacons which confirmed what I had thought.The forecast was for low cloud down to 500 metres with gale force winds and heavy showers in the eastern Beacons area.So my decision was made I was up early packing my tent away on a windy hillside and heading over Gospel Pass (good name for Good Friday) hoping to miss most of the traffic.Sadly this was not to be the case as ther now seems to be a number of places along the 16 mile long road through the Vale of Ewyas were they now take caravans and it seemed as if all of them were off to get groceries this morning.They would push me off the road into the hedges going out and then have another go coming back! The local people their beaten up farm vehicles were much more were much more considerate slowing down and giving me room even though they wouldn't notice another dent in their vehicles.
When looking at the map I noticed that Pandy didn't have a shop marked so I decided to change my route and go via Llanvihangel Crucorney instead and rejointhe Offa's Dyke Path just before Llangattock Lingoed. I am now camping at Great Tre-rhew Farm near to White Castle where I had read that they only charge £1 a night to camp and yes I was only asked for £1 so I am having an early night as I plan to reach Chepstow tomorrow and then cross the Severn Bridge on Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment