Saturday 28 March 2009

Offa's Dyke

Starting on Saturday the 4th April I will attempt to walk from Prestatyn in North Wales to my home in Bournemouth.I will use the Offa's Dyke Path to Chepstow then over the Severn Bridge to join the Severn Way around Bristol then on to the Monarch's Way south through Wells and Castle Cary to join the Stour Valley Way to my home in Bournemouth a distance in the region of 260 miles.I will try to update this blog as I go using my mobile phone,if I can get a signal!

The plan is to travel as light as possible and camp wild were I can.I had thought of taking a bivy bag,but after some overnight trials in the garden using a down bag in the rain I am not convinced that the bag will stay dry if I had several wet nights,so I will be taking my Hilleberg Akto.
Also those of you who know me will know that I think Paramo is the best thing since sliced bread.So it will come as no suprise that I will be relying again on my Paramo 3rd Element Jacket that served me so well last year on my walk along the Southern Upland Way.

7 comments:

  1. That looks a great walk. I just got one of those Jackets and joined the Paramo club. I will look out for your progress and have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top job Graham. I look forward to hearing about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the trip, sounds great. I will try and watch your progress while I sit in the office in Bournemouth. How do you think you will get on camping south of Chepstow? Will it be mainly campsites as opposed to wild camping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben,I am aiming to pitch at dusk and pack up at dawn so I'm sure I'll find somewhere each evening where I won't be noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purpletraveller30 March, 2009 21:33

    Hi Graham
    Having done Offas Dyke and your route south of Chepstow back to Bournemouth(Although as two separate walks on different occasions)I can report back to you that I had no problem camping wild south of Chepstow. I used the same strategy as you are planning ie pitch late and then pack up early. Enjoy !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graham You've changed your mind about going lightweight then. Paramo! Akto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anonymous,what is your definition of lightweight mine is 8kg or under.I will post my pack weight before I leave.

    ReplyDelete