Monday 28 February 2011

My Pennine Journey Easter 2011

Mrs F has agreed to let me go walkabout this Easter.So without delay I have booked return train tickets to Settle in north Yorkshire to follow in Wainwright's footsteps.


Info from Pennine Journey website 

"The Pennine Journey is a challenging circular walk, 247 miles long, passing through the wonderful variety of terrain and scenery that the north of England offers and touching on all the major rivers in the region. Starting in the market town of Settle in north Yorkshire, in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, the route heads north on the eastern side of the Pennines through the delightful Yorkshire Dales and moorland stretches of Co. Durham before arriving at Hadrian’s Wall. This World Heritage site, in the Northumberland National Park, is followed for 21 miles until the route heads south on the western side of the Pennines. After traversing the Pennines just below the highest point of Cross Fell, it enters and travels down the Eden valley before skirting the Howgills Fells then arrives back in Settle."
Map of 2008 Journey

9 comments:

  1. Wow..! A posting..!
    Nice to see that you haven't hung up the old walking boots Graham.
    I have not heard anything from you for ages despite e-mails.
    This seems a really good walk- how long are you giving yourself to complete it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant walk, never heard of it before. Quite a challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trevor,
    I will be wearing my Inov-8 Flyroc 310 shoes ;-)
    I have 13 days to complete the walk but I hope to have a couple of days off depending on my daily milage.
    Your Spring Meet is the weekend before I leave and if all goes to plan I will walk in to join you at Church Farm on the friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic route - lucky you and good on Mrs F for letting you out for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks a fine walk Graham. Wild camping much on the way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martin,
    I intend to wild camp as much as possible,but I've yet to decide what shelter I will take with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice route. Have you walked Hadrians Wall before? I always thought it would be a n interesting walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ben,
    I have only walked the short section of Hadrian's Wall between Greenhead and just before Housesteads when I walked the Pennine Way a few years ago.Its a walk which I would like to do with my young boys as you can base yourself somewhere like Twice Brewed midway along the walk and use the regular bus service between Carlisle and Newcastle to get you between sections.The road is never more than 30 minutes walk away and the bus will stop where ever it is safe to do so.
    (sorry I didn't see your post earlier)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clearly very belatedly I have just seen this blog. Did you complete the walk Graham? If so then we would welcome a report on the Pennine Journey website.
    David Pitt enquiries@penninejourney.org.uk

    ReplyDelete